Almost every homeowner or renter has a few essential tools on hand to cope with minor plumbing emergencies. Sometimes a clogged toilet or slow drain may need a little elbow grease and a plunger to work as intended. If you’re handy around the house, you can generally tackle a small repair such as changing out a worn washer or replacing a drain cover. However, bigger plumbing repair jobs need professional attention.
There are several ways to clear a clogged drain, try these simple methods on the following page if you have a blockage.
Before tackling any repair, turn off the water main. Dress to get wet. Even if you’re careful, plumbing maintenance and repair is a messy task. When possible, take parts to be replaced to the hardware store with you to be sure you’re buying the right item.
Keep Plumbers Express number handy. You may not need the number, but if you snap off a valve and have a geyser in your kitchen, you’ll be glad you kept it near your phone. Ph 4048 2414
If the problem persists it may be best to contact your plumber. Our team offers same-day services. If you’re feeling stuck and need us to come out, we’re happy to help. Please note we cannot however give advice over the phone.
Plumbing Trap Repair:
- Inspect the drain from above to see if the blockage is visible at the bottom of the waste trap (the S-bend under the sink).
- If so, turn off the water supply and remove the trap from under the sink (be careful not to bend or damage the horizontal and vertical pipes attached to the trap). Have a bucket handy to collect the waste water.
- Clear the blockage and reassemble the S-bend.
- Always check for possible leaks, you don’t need water damage to you cabinets or home.
- This method is less efficient on part blockages as it requires the pressure of a water filled pipeline.
- Fill the blocked pipe with water until there is standing water in the sink, basin or toilet pan.
- Place the plunger completely over the drain ensuring a good seal.
- Work the plunger up and down forcefully, this may take several minutes to dislodge the blockage, keep at it.
- Several different types of drain snakes exist and range from small, hand operated wires to professional motor driven machines (both cable & high pressure water types).
- If the blockage is only a short distance from the drain, and is mostly made up of hair and gunk, a simple wire with the end bent into a hook may do the trick, pull the hair out using the hooked end until the blockage is dislodged.
- If it is a bigger blockage a more powerful drain snake may be required. Higher powered motor driven drain snakes are available from hardware stores but require more expertise. If you are not competent in their use they can cause damage to your drains. You can even cause serious injury to yourself or others. When in doubt, call a Plumbers Express Plumber, who has been correctly trained in the use of this type of equipment.
Drain Cleaner Chemicals:
- There are chemicals you can pour down the drain to dissolve all types of blockages. These chemicals are very toxic and typically dissolve the blockage with a strong alkaline solution. It is best to avoid introducing chemicals into the environment where possible, so mechanical removal is a better alternative. Some chemical are not only dangerous to you & your family’s health, but can cause damage to your drainage system, even the adjoining authority main line.